Document Checklist for Writing a Will in Singapore
When getting a will drafted, it is advisable to prepare the necessary documents to save yourself the unnecessary hassle of going back and forth with the will writer. To smoothen your will writing experience, we list below key documents that you can bring along when meeting up with your will writer.
1) Identification documents of:
- Executors and/or trustees
2) Documents related to relationships:
- marriage certificates
- pre- or postnuptial agreements
- divorce papers
- adoption papers
3) A list of assets owned by testators:
- Life insurance policies
- Health insurance policies with death benefits
- Retirement accounts
- Investment portfolios
- Bank accounts
- Property titles
- Car ownership
- Intellectual properties such as royalties, patents, etc.
- Other assets such as jewellery, paintings, collections, etc.
- Non-monetary sentimental items, such as a childhood toy, that you’d like to leave to your beneficiaries
4) A list of liabilities owed by testators:
- Bank loans
- Education loans
- Credit cards
- Informal debts, such as loans from a sibling
- Outstanding tax
5) Business contracts such as buy/sell agreements
Additional information/instructions related to wills
In addition to the above, we list below a few important details that one might wish to consider beforehand for inclusion in the will.
- Contact details of all the beneficiaries
- Funeral instructions
- Other instructions such as conditions beneficiaries must fulfill before they can gain access to their share of the estate.
Some independent financial advisory firms, such as Financial Alliance, are one-stop centres that provide both financial consulting services and will writing services in Singapore. Moreover, backed by experts from both fields, the will writing and financial consulting services provided by representatives of these independent financial advisory firms are holistic and of high quality. As such, individuals who wishes to consult both financial experts and will writers may wish to engage these representatives and have everything settled in one go.
Financial Alliance is an independent financial advisory firm that provides its clients with sound and objective financial advice to protect and grow their wealth. Providing top-notch services to both corporations and individuals, Financial Alliance is a trusted brand in Singapore and has been navigating its clients’ financial future for 20 years. For more information about Financial Alliance, click on the link.
Important: The information and opinions in this article are for general information purposes only. They should not be relied on as professional financial advice. Readers should seek independent financial advice that is customised to their specific financial objectives, situations & needs. This advertisement or publication has not been reviewed by the Monetary Authority of Singapore.